Last Updated: May 24th, 2018
- The rules for using our services
- What you can do with our content (share it, link to it, that sort of thing)
- What we can do with things you post or upload.
Your rights and responsibilities, basically – important stuff.
We’ve kept them as short as possible. So, do read them, and check in for updates as the latest version always applies (we’ll usually only make updates when we release a new service, change how we provide a service, or have to comply with a new legal requirement).
2. When these terms apply
Read these terms before using our services. Whenever you use our services you agree to these terms.
You’re also agreeing to stick to our Privacy and Cookies policy. Read it too.
If you don’t stick to all these terms, then we can suspend or terminate your use of services and your account.
3. What’s all this about “services” and “content”?
That’s what we mean by:
Anything digital offered by the GBSN Research. Such as websites, apps or RSS feeds.
Anything that’s available through those services. Including:
- Technical stuff such as metadata and open-source code
- Anything made by people using our services. User-generated content, that’s called.
4. When other terms apply
When you use services where we tell you they apply
Like when you subscribe a service. If there are extra terms, we’ll always let you know.
5. Terms for using our services and content
A few rules to stop you (and us) getting in trouble.
These apply to our services and content. One exception is content that’s made to be shared – “shareables” for short – which has some different, more relaxed rules.
Don't mess with our services
What do we mean by that? This sort of thing:
- Hacking them
- Trying to get around our content security technology (software that stops people copying our content)
Don't harm or offend other people...
...while using our services or content. That means:
- Don’t damage our reputation – by associating us with sexism or racism, for instance
- Don’t get us sued – by defaming (damaging the reputation of) someone, say, or commenting on an active lawsuit
- Don’t harass or upset people
- Don’t post or upload anything offensive or obscene
- If you disagree with someone, attack the argument, not the
Don’t pretend to be GBSN Research
- Recreating a service or copying the look of a service
- Using our brands, trademarks or logos without our permission
- Using or mentioning our content in press releases and other marketing bumph
- Making money from our content or services. You can’t charge people to buy our reports from you, for example
- Sharing our content. Apart from shareables.
6. Using GBSN Research content
When you need permission
To use any of the following things...
- Our logo and other branding
- Anything else that’s protected by copyright…you’ll need to get
When you already have permission
For shareables. The rules about shareables are listed in this page.
How to get permission
To ask permission, please contact us via e-mail.
7. Shareables – what they are
Content that’s shareable will have one or more of these buttons next to it:
- Social media buttons for posting to Facebook, Twitter and so on.
We don’t always own the copyright for shareables. Sometimes we must get a licence or permission from the people who made it.
So, stick to these rules. Otherwise, among other things, the people who made it won’t want to make content for us again.
You’ll need to get our permission first for any business use, and you might have to pay a fee.
When you share to a social media platform their terms will apply. Do read their terms (which you can search for online).
8. Shareables – what you can do
Use sharing buttons
To share a link to our content on your website or social media.
Use a feed
You can add the GBSN Research feed to your website or social media account. Provided:
- You don’t change the feed or remove any of our branding or logos
- You credit us by saying it’s from GBSN Research putting the text and hyperlink in a prominent place nearby
- You don’t add our branding, logos and so on, except for any branding that’s already embedded in the feed.
Post comments and views...
...about our shareables. That’s fine. Encouraged, even. Just as long as they’re not evil.
9. Shareables – what you can’t do
Don’t use them to harm or offend. And don’t put shareables with harmful or for offensive stuff
Here’s a list of things that may harm or offend:
- Insulting, misleading, discriminating or defaming (damaging people’s reputations)
- Promoting pornography, tobacco or weapons
- Putting children at risk
- Anything illegal. Like using hate speech, inciting terrorism or breaking privacy law
- Anything that would harm the GBSN Research’s reputation.
Don’t make it look like they cost money
You can’t charge others for using our shareables. If you put them on a site that charges for content, you have to say they’re free content.
Don’t make them more prominent than non-GBSN Research content
Otherwise it might look like we’re endorsing you. Which we’re not allowed to do. Also, use shareables alongside other stuff. You can’t make a service of your own that contains only our shareables.
Speaking of which...
Don’t exaggerate your relationship with GBSN Research
You can’t say we endorse, promote, supply or approve of you. Don’t use shareables for political purposes.
Don’t associate them with advertising or sponsorship
That means you can’t:
- Put any other content between the link to the shareable and the shareable itself. So, no ads or short videos people must sit through
- Put ads next to or over them
- Put any ads in a web page or app that contain mostly shareables
- Put ads related to their subject alongside shareables. So, no trainer ads with a shareable about shoes
- Add extra content that means you’d earn money from them.
Don’t be misleading about where they came from
You can’t remove or alter the copyright notice, or imply that someone else made them.
10. Shareables – what you must do
- Use the latest version and, where we have it, don’t remove any tagging or tracking.
- Make sure it’s displayed accurately.
- Add a credit (if it doesn’t already have one).
Most come with credits included. If not, put one of these in a prominent place nearby to show where you got the shareable from:
If possible, add a hyperlink to the shareable’s original location. Make sure it works, and don’t put anything between the credit and the link.
11. Shareables – a thing we have to say
Apart from what we’re responsible for when there’s a mishap, we’re not liable for anything that happens to you if you use a shareable.
You’re not allowed to pluck metadata from our content.
You’ll need a licence to use our metadata. Apply for a metadata licence by emailing: support@gbsnresearch
13. Your GBSN Research account
About the account
You need an account to use most of our services.
To keep your account safe, don’t:
- Tell anyone your username or password
- Give us false information
- Try to log in as someone else
- Try to bypass our security measures
- Create more than one account
- Create an account for someone else, except for your child. And be sure to keep your details up-to-date.
What we do with your information
The data you send us when you register, fill in web forms or use our services helps us to:
- Provide you with services, recommendations, notifications and other features
- Improve our existing services and come up with new ones.
Changing settings and deleting your account
Find out how to tinker with or delete your account here.
Changing settings on your device
This can stop some of our services from working properly.Find out more about changing your settings here.
We take great care to make our content and services the best they can be. So if something does go wrong, we are responsible only:
- If our services or content damage your device or anything on it. Should this happen, you might be able to ask for compensation under consumer protection law. Compensation isn’t guaranteed, though. Be sure to get legal advice.
- For certain unlikely events. If our negligence causes death or injury, for example.
- If you’re an individual “consumer” and it would be unfair for us to not be held responsible.
Otherwise, we’re not liable for anything that happens if:
- You rely on advice, data, information, opinions or any other content
- There are errors, omissions, interruptions, delays, bugs or viruses
- We turn off or remove content, services or external links (we’d normally only do this when we moderate, for legal reasons or if we’re improving a service)
- The thing that happens couldn’t reasonably have been foreseen
- The thing that happens wouldn’t usually result from the mishap
- You and we hadn’t agreed that this thing would probably happen in the event of a mishap.
This applies to sites we link to as well as our content and services. Speaking of which...
15. External links
We sometimes link to non-GBSN Research sites. And we sometimes put our services on them – when you connect with us on social media, for example.
A few things to bear in mind:
- We don’t endorse the sites we link to.
- We’re not responsible for their content or liable for anything that happens to you if you use them.
- If you or anyone else shares something containing a link, we’re not responsible for anything on the site it links to.
16. Final stuff
A quick recap, a few extra legal bits and we’re done:
- If you use a service on behalf of a business, that business agrees to these terms. So your business has to stick to these terms if you use a service...
- substantially to do your job – as an employee, contractor or consultant
- for commercial purposes – to make a profit or
- for educational, non-profit, charitable or government uses.
- As we said earlier, read these terms before using our services. When you use our services and content, you’re agreeing to:
And those things replace all previous agreements between you and us about using our services or content.
- Our privacy and cookies policy
- Any other terms we’ve let you know about.
- This is a contract between you and us. No one else has any rights to enforce its terms.
- Portuguese law governs these terms, and only Portuguese courts can make judgments about them.
- Our services and content are made available to you by GBSN Research, Avenida João Crisóstomo 31, 3-A, 1050-53 Lisboa.
We’re regulated by the Comissão Nacional De Protecção De Dados. You can also contact them for advice and support.
© GBSN Research 2018