- What’s in this policy?
- What does this policy cover?
- How do you protect my personal information?
- What types of personal information does GBSN Research collect about me?
- How long will the GBSN Research keep my information?
- How can GBSN Research use my personal information?
- When will GBSN Research use my information to contact me?
- Will I be contacted for marketing purposes?
- When does GBSN Research share my personal information with others?
- Can I delete my information?
- What are my rights?
- How will I find out about changes to this policy?
- How can I contact GBSN Research?
1. What's in this policy?
This policy tells you:
- what information we might collect about you
- how we might use that information
- when we might use your details to contact you
- what information of yours we might share with others
- your choices about the personal information you give us
2. What does this policy cover?
This policy covers the services that are offered by GBSN Research.
And sometimes it covers services offered by parts of our organization that operate as separate companies. But only when those services link to this policy or tell you it applies
What’s not covered in this policy?
3. How do you protect my personal information?
We’re strongly committed to keeping your information safe. And to do this we design our services with your safety in mind. We also have dedicated teams to look after your information security and privacy.
At the same time, no service can be completely secure – if you have any concerns that your GBSN Research account or personal information has been put at risk, for example if someone could have found out your password, please get in touch straight away.
Where we store your information
Some companies that provide services to us run their services from outside the European Economic Area. We only let that happen if we are satisfied with their levels of security. Keep in mind that when you give us personal information it could be being transferred, stored or processed in a location outside the EEA.
4. What types of personal information does GBSN Research collect about me?
We’ll give details about why we need your personal information and how we’ll use it before you begin, unless it’s obvious.
a. Information that you give us
We might ask for your name and contact details, your date of birth or financial details, depending on what you’re doing.
b. Device information
Devices are lots of things like:
- your computer
- your mobile
- your TV
- your tablet
- your voice-enabled device
We automatically collect some technical information from these devices and web browsers even when you’re not signed in to a GBSN Research account. This might include:
- IP (internet protocol) address
- device ID
- app ID
- vendor ID
c. Information on your activities outside GBSN Research when you talk about us
Like if you’ve mentioned us in a Twitter post, we’ll collect your Twitter handle.
What if I have a GBSN Research account?
When you create a GBSN Research account, or update your details or settings we ask for some personal information, like your email address and age.
We also collect information about how you use our services, like the pages you visit and how long you stay at a given page.
5. How long will GBSN Research keep my personal information?
When you give us any personal information we’ll let you know how long we’ll hold it for. And always stick to these principles:
- we only hold your information for as long as we do the activities we told you about or have a valid reason to keep it
- we think about what type of information it is, the amount collected, how sensitive it might be and any legal requirements
- we design our services so that we don’t hold your information any longer than we have to
- we may close your GBSN Research account if you haven’t used it in the last We’ll send you an email to tell you that we plan to do this before we delete anything, so please check to see if we’ve sent you any emails about this
6. How can GBSN Research use my personal information?
We have to have a valid reason to use your personal information. It’s called the “lawful basis for processing”. Sometimes we might ask your permission to do things, like when you subscribe to an email. Other times, when you’d reasonably expect us to use your personal information, we don’t ask your permission, but only when:
- the law says it’s fine to use it, and
- it fits with the rights you have
We use your information for these types of things:
to deal with your requests, complaints and enquiries
to deliver our services and to provide you with information about them
to personalize services and give you things more tailored to your tastes
to show you relevant advertising on another company’s site
Some of this advertising might be tailored to you.
to help us understand what kind of services you might use
And sometimes how you might share things with other people
to recommend things we think might interest you
to research and innovate
You’re not a guinea-pig here, but knowing how you use our services could lead to the next big technology breakthrough.
to contact you about various things
7. When will GBSN Research use my information to contact me?
We might use your information to contact you about different things, like:
- to check with you about any service or activity you’ve signed up For example, we might tell you if your GBSN Research account hasn't been used in a long time.
- to answer you when you’ve contacted us, or to respond to a comment or complaint
- to invite you to take part in surveys about GBSN Research services, which are always voluntary
- for marketing purposes
We’ll only contact you when we need to or when you’ve given us permission.
We’ll never contact you to ask for your GBSN Research account password.
8. Will I be contacted for marketing purposes?
We’ll only send you marketing emails or contact you about GBSN Research services if you’ve agreed to this.
Keep in mind, even if you unsubscribe, we may still contact you.
Will my personal information be used when GBSN Research advertises with other companies?
If you have a GBSN Research account we might use information that we hold about you to show you relevant and “targeted advertising” through other companies’ sites, like Facebook, Google, Instagram or Twitter for example. This could be showing you a GBSN Research advertising message where we know you have a GBSN Research account and have used any of our services.
If you don’t want to see our targeted advertising, you can set ad preferences in your social media companies’ settings.
9. When does GBSN Research share my personal information with others?
We’ll never sell your personal information. We do share it with others in these ways:
When you make something public
Like post a comment which the public can see.
When we use other companies to power our services
For us to give you quality experiences and to understand how you’re using our services we may use other companies to process your personal information on our behalf.
For example, sending you emails about things we think might interest you, or to ask you what you think about our services.
We make sure that your personal information is looked after as if we were handling it directly. We carefully select these companies, only share with them what they need to do the work and we make sure they keep your information secure.
When we share personal information with companies in the GBSN Research family
When you use another company’s service that connects to us
When we do collaborative research
We do research activities and sometimes collaborate with research partners. Every now and then we share our content and data with them. This might include information we’ve collected about you. But we’re careful about what we share and what our research partners can do with it.
Sometimes by law we have to pass on your information to other organizations
We might also share your information if we have to by law, or when we need to protect you or other people from harm.
10. Can I delete my information?
This depends on what information you’re talking about.
If you’re talking about GBSN Research account
You can delete your account. Your account information is immediately deleted. Keep in mind:
- we keep a record of how you’ve used our services, but this information can’t be linked back to you
- we also keep anything you’ve uploaded or commented on
What about other information I’ve shared with you?
We might have collected other personal information that you might ask to be deleted that has nothing to do with you GBSN Research account.
11. What are my rights?
Remember, you’re in control of your personal information.
You have the right to:
- request a copy of your information
- not let robots make big decisions about you
- to ask us to correct information that’s wrong, to delete it or to request that we only use it for certain purposes
- to change your mind, and ask us to stop using your information. For example, unsubscribing from any marketing emails
Bear in mind, sometimes we might not be able to help. Like if the law tells us we can’t.
What are cookies and tracking technologies?
Cookies are bits of data which are stored in your computer or mobile when you visit a website or app.
There are also similar pieces of tracking information we collect.
To do a few different things:
- to remember information about you, so you don’t have to give it to us again. And again. And again
- to keep you signed in, even on different devices
- to help us understand how people are using our services, so we can make them better
- to help us personalize GBSN Research to you by remembering your preferences and settings.
- to find out if our emails have been read and if you find them useful
A few things on our websites wouldn’t work without some cookies. Tech people call these “strictly necessary cookies”. They’re always on when you visit us.
But we want to use others like functional, performance and advertising cookies to make your experience more enjoyable. We’ll only use them if you’ve agreed. You can always change your mind.
Bear in mind there are some other cookies out there from other companies. These "third-party cookies" might track how you use different websites, including ours. For example, you might get a social media company’s cookie when you see the option to share something. You can turn them off, but not through us.
How long do cookies last?
Some are erased when you close the browser on your website or app. Others stay longer, sometimes forever, and are saved onto your device so that they’re there when you come back.
How do I control my cookies and tracking?
When you first visit us, we’ll tell you about our cookies and ask you to agree if we can use them.
Stopping all cookies might mean you can’t access some GBSN Research services, or that some of them might not work properly for you.
Another way to control some tracking is in the browser settings on your device.
13. How will I find out about changes to this policy?
We update this policy sometimes. If we make important changes, like how we use your personal information, we’ll let you know. It might be a notice, an email or a message in your app.
If you don’t agree to the changes, then you can always stop using our services, delete your account and stop giving us any more personal information. We’d be sorry to see you go.
14. How can I contact GBSN Research?
Find out more and contact us about your rights.
For any other questions or comments about this policy speak to our Data Protection Officer:
- by e-mail
GBSN Research, Avenida João Crisóstomo 31, 4-A, 1050-053
We’re regulated by the Comissão Nacional De Protecção De Dados. You can also contact them for advice and support.
© GBSN Research 2018